The student research program I have been supporting since 2016 – Summer Research Program for Pharmacy Students (Ref. https://pharm.ump.edu.vn/).
SUMMER RESEARCH PROGRAM has been held annually at the Faculty of Pharmacy – University of Medicine and Pharmacy at Ho Chi Minh City (UMP) since 2016. The program was initiated by Nguyen Thuy Viet Phuong, PhD who is a lecturer in bioinformatics and drug design at UMP.
The main aim of the program is to offer opportunities for undergraduate students to get in touch and participate in scientific research under the supervision of scientists and lecturers at the Faculty of Pharmacy, UMP. The ambition of this program is also to stimulate students’ passion for research and motivate them to a scientific career.
In particular, applicants must first participate in a training course of scientific research skills, held by the program committee. Every year, the course attracts around 100-200 students to attend in 2 to 3 days. The course is also published on UMP’s online course system at elearning.ump.edu.vn. From 2016 to present, we have organized 5 courses taught by lecturers at UMP including Nguyen Thuy Viet Phuong, Pharm, PhD (bioinformatics); Phan Canh Trinh, Pharm, MSc (microbiology and pharmaceutical biotechnology); and Nguyen Thi Xuan Dieu, Pharm, PhD (pharmacognosy).
This course syllabus focuses on:
– The concept of scientific research and terms.
– Searching scientific literature.
– How to write a research proposal.
– Presentation of scientific reports (thesis, paper, poster, oral presentation…).
– Data visualization.
– Using Reference management software (Endnote, Zotero, Mendeley).
– Using Microsoft Word for scientific reports.
– Reading a Research Article.
After the course, students have to prepare a research proposal in 5 pages under supervision of lecturers at the Faculty of Pharmacy within 4 weeks. Proposals are evaluated based on a professional board from many fields in pharmaceutical sciences and clinical pharmacy. We select 5 to 10 quality proposals to fund the project. The implementation time of projects is usually from May to October annually.
At the end of the program, beneficiaries will have an oral report to the professional board and other audiences to select the top 3 winning awards.
COORDINATORS OF THIS PROGRAM
2018-2020: Nguyen Thuy Viet Phuong, PhD; Phan Canh Trinh, Pharm. Msc.
RECENT ORGANIZING MEMBERS
Lâm Thừa Phong – DCQ2017
Trần Quốc Huy – DCQ2017
Lê Hương Giang – DCQ2018
Mai Thị Thu Hà – DCQ2018
Tô Hồng Thư – DCQ2016
Phạm Đình Long Hưng – DCQ2018
Đôn Nguyễn Quang Thịnh – DCQ2018
Nguyễn Anh Khôi – DCQ2018
Luyện Ánh Thùy Dương – DCQ2018
Nguyễn Ngọc Quỳnh Mai – DCQ2018
Nguyễn Khánh Hưng – DCQ2019
1. Trương Minh Nhựt- DCQ2018 – “Adsorbents and desorbents of Carthamine”
2. Lê Lại Hoàng Sơn- DCQ2018 – “Design and synthesis of Combretastatin analogs”
3. Lâm Thừa Phong – DCQ2017 – “Molecular dynamics simulation of Apelin agonists”
4. Nguyễn Ngọc Mai Trúc – DCQ2017 – “Impact of social media on Pharmacy students during COVID-19 pandemic”
5. Phan Tuyết Minh – DCQ2017 – “Synthesis of Curcumin analogs using ketones and phenylhydrazines”
1. Nguyễn Đắc Nhân – DCQ2016 – “Drug design animation”
2. Nguyễn Thị Trang – DCQ2016 – “Anti-mosquito gel”
3. Dương Quốc Cường – DCQ2017 – “PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitors”
4. Đinh Quang Dương – DCQ2015 – “Optimisation of extraction of isoquercitrin”
5. Nguyễn Thị Phúc Nhân – DCQ2016 – “NSAIDs inhibiting virulence factors of bacteria”
6. Lê Thị Mỹ Chi – DCQ2015 – “Semisynthesis of benzaldehyde from cinnamaldehyde”
7. Phan Hiếu – DCQ2016 – “Survey of pharmacy students about practicing certificates”
8. Trần Thị Thu Hà – DCQ2017 – “Antibiofim activity of Streptomyces 4VH3”
9. Phạm Trần Kim Quyên – DCQ2017 – “Biofilm formation enhancing production of antibiotics of Streptomyces”
10. Trần Thị Ngọc Hải – DCQ2017 – “Synthesis of 1,3,4-oxadiazol ester derivatives”